Monday, October 22, 2018

From Broken to Crumbles

I always love when people ask me how my mom is doing. Sometimes it hurts to answer, and I can't hold back the tears, when I describe her fight for life. But, I am so grateful that people continually ask about her because it means they really care!

My mom has endured so much.  Last week she was told that the cancer has spread to her brain.  This was such a shock because seconds before we had just been told that there was no new cancer in her body, that her bones and liver had much-improved, and that her chemo treatments had been very successful.  We knew the cancer would eventually invade her brain, but we had secretly hoped for a long duration of stability before further metastasis.  When I heard this news, it felt like my already broken heart crumbled into tiny bits.

My mom immediately started daily full-brain radiation, she is on dementia medications for her memory, and her balance is off because there are some tumors in her cerebellum.

What does this mean?  We all ask.  I wish I knew how to prepare for what will come next in my mom's cancer battle.  It hurts like crazy to watch someone you love struggle so much.  I can't even begin to imagine how she must feel.  She lays on the radiation table, they tighten the bolts around her face to hold her head perfectly still, and yet she is still smiling through the mask.

I have seen her cry, but most of her life she displays a contagious smile.  You should wander around Costco with her riding her motorized cart, and just listen to the compliments she gets from random strangers about her beauty and how she shines!  She really is an angel on earth!  I know that some day God will take her home.  But for now, I will enjoy every precious minute.  Time is a gift.    

No comments:

Post a Comment