Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Healing advice from a stranger



A long while back, Nick bought us tickets to the Utah Symphony.  Thanks to Nick's current college music course, we've attended more music performances than normal for us.

This time, I was hesitant to use the tickets and go because I was nervous to leave my mom's hospital bedside.  I also knew how important time alone with Nick was.  He had already been so understanding of my time away.

We were a few minutes late and we squished next to total strangers in a stunning Park City Catholic church.  I sat in awe of the gorgeous woodwork and beautiful windows.  I felt mixed pain and peace there.  During intermission, I sent a text about my mom to some family members and tears fell.  The woman next to me asked if I was ok.  I apoligized for crying and we continued to talk.  By the end of the night, I learned that she was a new cancer survivor and that her husband recently passed away.  She gave me some advice:

1.  Take care of yourself as if you have the flu.  Wear comfy clothes and eat comforting foods.
2.  Lean heavily into God and your faith.  This will be your best support.
3.  You will be ok and your mom will be ok.  You both REALLY will be.

This "stranger friend" was just who I needed at that very moment in my life.  She and I hugged eachother tearfully.  I walked away knowing I will again thank her in heaven some day.  Thank you God, for these tender miracles!

No comments:

Post a Comment