Thursday, April 5, 2018

Let’s Pass It On 💕

A recently published Harvard study showed something that Jorji has known all along:  Close relationships, more than money or fame, are what keep people happy throughout their lives.  Jorji has heartfelt love for everyone. The criminal, the homeless, the needy and anyone else that crosses her path.  She has made them all feel loved.  

Our church just re-structured what are called the Home and Visiting Teaching programs, which have been used as a way to check in monthly with every member of a congregation. This will be replaced by a program that sends members out to simply minister to one another - Christlike caring for each other. We are being asked to live a higher law. If you know dear Jorji, you might be asking, “Was the Church having Jorji Roberts pilot this program for the last 6 decades?”

Glorious Jorji.  Her love and kindness are genuine.  Her enormous desire and effort to serve and love and feed and provide is real.  If there is a need, she can’t help but act.  This brings tears to my eyes.  She loves that much.  This may have worn her out at times, but I hope she has no regrets. The world is a better place because of people like her.  She has been a model of loving learning and loving growing, even with all the physical challenges of cancer treatment.  I hope I am worthy to learn and grow and love in the ways she has - it just might take me a little longer. 

I’m one of many siblings to Jorji.  All through our growing years, as far as my memory can recall, Jorji would actually get excited to show us off to her friends.  She just seemed very proud to be our sister.  Her love for us was unconditional.  I’m certain it is I who wants to express how proud and blessed I feel to be her sister.

To me, Jorji has been such an example of resilience as well.  Our mom mentioned in another blog post that at one time we lived in a refurbished “hen house” (chicken coop).   Jorji’s positive, joyful attitude about living in these humble circumstances, along with the love of Mom and sisters, made this, hands down, my absolute favorite home while growing up.  I remember Jorji standing on the sofa so that her head could reach the heating vent on the low ceiling, waving her long, beautiful, newly-washed hair back and forth while it dried from the heated vent air (this was pre-personal home hair dryers).  Sisters, do you remember with me when I think the other three of us were following Jorji’s lead, getting up on the sofa to dry our hairs all together?

In our grown years, the only time I sensed her getting upset is when we wouldn’t be able to gather as often as she felt we needed to.  I wonder if subconsciously she knew, more than we could realize, that she needed to use her time to gather to the utmost advantage?  And I’ll reiterate – Jorji knew that the relationship bonds we build will bring us the greatest happiness.  Jorji is an Ultra-gatherer!  I think perhaps these last few years of cancer recovery have been harder on her for reasons we don’t even realize - such as the possibility that it has been too hard on her to be limited?      

I see so many wonderful “pieces” of Jorji in her fantastic children, and I see in Keith such an adoring and adored husband.  May we all take every good thing that we have gained from knowing and loving Jorji and pass it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment